Saturday, March 14, 2009

Angsty Music

I've gradually been realizing that a lot of the music that's coming out recently is just musicians bitching about things, or if not bitching then singing about sad things. My main issue with this isn't that there's negative emotions within motion, I think that it is in fact an important part of music as a whole. Mostly its a lacking in positive and celebratory to counterpoint the negative music. There seems to be very little celebrating of things within music lately, and I think that is a very important part of music as well. 

Part of what worries me about this is that art(and as such music) in theory reflects the culture and/or changes the culture. If the art focuses on the negative things, then that's probably what the public eye will focus on.

Anyways I think that there should be music that focuses on the good that is happening even if there isn't that much. Also, I think that it shouldn't just be certain bands that focus on that. I think that the bands that are out there should at least admit that there are good things out there...even if the majority of the songs are about bad things. 

I will admit that my views might be skewed based on the music that I listen to, and maybe there's a lot more than I think. Regardless, even within the styles that I listen to I think there should be more positive songs than there are right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment